February 7th, 2011
I’m very excited to announce that I’m co-producing/directing the Austin show of Listen To Your Mother to be held on April 30th, 2011. LTYM is a wonderful thing started by my friend Ann Imig last Mother’s Day in Madison, WI and this year, it branches out to Austin, Los Angeles, Spokane and Valparaiso, Indiana.
My co-producer/director is the very lovely, very funny Jennifer who you can find here.(Note: She’s the one without the silky black coat in the picture. Also, she never purrs.) Right now we’re seeking a diverse collection of Austin writers (or aspiring writers) to read their own words about motherhood in the show, and everyone is invited to submit their piece of work. Mothers, people who have mothers, people who’ve seen Big Momma’s House…all are welcome.
If you, or someone you know, has an original humorous, poignant, or soulful essay about the good, the bad, and the no-shower-for-three-days ugly of motherhood, we’d love to see it. Your piece should be roughly 5 minutes or less when read aloud. Send your essays to: LTYMAustin@yahoo.com. Selected readers will then be contacted for auditions to be held at a time and location TBD.
As a personal favor, if you could please pass this info along to everyone you know in Austin (except for the freaks who’ll send us something about motherhood not existing because we’re all just aliens waiting for our ship to come back), I’d very much appreciate it because if Jennifer and I don’t get enough people to read, we’re going to have to entertain a theater full of people with one of following:
– The two of us reading scenes from Mommie Dearest in hilarious Irish accents
– Our musical tribute to Earth, Wind and Fire done on plastic recorder and mouth harp
– Cat tricks where the “cats” will actually be half-destroyed Zhu-Zhu pets and/or small dogs who may or may not have eaten the expired Dexatrim pills in my purse
– My one woman hip-hop revue “Ouch, This Hurts”
– Jennifer’s hot, new radish juice investment opportunity that is TOTALLY not a scam so stop saying that, State of Texas
– Our hastily put together “Ms. Chin Whiskers” beauty pageant for women over 40
– YouTube videos where people get whacked in the nuts with tree limbs
So please, help Austin have a great Listen To Your Mother show and submit your essays! We obviously need them.
Entry Filed under: Uncategorized