The 100 What Bulb

Hey, Mommy, guess what?

What?

Guess what?

What?

Guess…

WHAT?

Mommy, did you know…um, did you know…guess what?

Whhhhaaaaaatttttt?

What’d you say?

I said “what” because you just said “guess what”.

What’d I say?

“Guess what?”

What.

“Guess what?”

What?!

No, I’m not saying “guess what”. You said “guess what”.

Oh. What’d I say that for?

I don’t know. Probably because you wanted to tell me something.

Oh. What?

Well, let’s see. I think what you wanted to tell me is that you’re going to run upstairs right now to pick up the 40,000 Lego pieces that are currently hiding in the carpet, sharpening themselves in preparation for the arrival of my bare feet. Also, you wanted to tell me that you’ve finally accepted both green and orange vegetables as your personal salvation and will no longer refer to them as “mean mommy food.” And, most important, Jack, you really wanted to tell me that when you grow up, you’ll never, ever go on a date with someone you meet in a “Dancing With The Stars” chat room.

(long, thoughtful pause) No…that’s not it. Hey, Mommy, guess what?

• 1. noreply@blogger.com (pat)  |  February 12th, 2008 at 4:58 pm

when I was a lil kid, if we said “guess what”, my uncle always said “chicken butt, thats what”..no idea where it came from , but, as we were not allowed to say “butt”…we thought it quite hilarious.

• 2. noreply@blogger.com (~ Denise)  |  February 12th, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Hey, hey, umm, ummmm, Wendi?

Guess what?

Jack sounds adorable!! :o)

• 3. noreply@blogger.com (Just Me)  |  February 12th, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Are you sure you don’t live in my house? My son’s name is Jack and he is a Lego freak.

My personal pain is “Mom, can I tell you something?”

It’s not like I can say “No” so it just adds another layer to the process. Sigh….

• 4. noreply@blogger.com (the mama bird diaries)  |  February 12th, 2008 at 8:31 pm

So funny.

My 3 1/2 year-old constantly says “What’d I say?”

I’m like, “girl, I’m too tired to remember what I say.. how am I suppose to remember everything that comes out of your mouth too?!”

• 5. noreply@blogger.com (Moi)  |  February 12th, 2008 at 9:17 pm

We are currently hip deep in the “Orange you glad I didn’t say banana” knock knock joke. I have heard it approximately 217 kajillion times today.

Wanna trade?

• 6. noreply@blogger.com (anniemcq)  |  February 13th, 2008 at 6:54 am

So funny, because it’s so true! That exact exchange (up to the part where you had the presence of mind to attempt to get your child to do something useful) took place at our house yesterday.

• 7. noreply@blogger.com (hokgardner)  |  February 13th, 2008 at 7:32 am

You’ve been eavesdropping at my house, I see. My five-year-old, who has always been a chatterbox, has racheted it up a notch since her birthday, and I swear, she is making my ears bleed.

• 8. noreply@blogger.com (Vicki)  |  February 13th, 2008 at 11:00 am

Oh my! That is my everyday conversation with my 7 yr old. As soon as she gets in the van it’s “Mommy, guess what!!?” I don’t even get a chance to answer, she talks for 3-5 minutes staight. It’s like she’s saving it up all day. Be cause she usually ends with “I didn’t get in trouble today for talking”. Then there is the 2 yr old. Every time you speak to her she replys “huh?”, I repeat myself and I get another “huh?” So I started anwering her “huh” with “HUH?” When I do that to her she repeats exactly what I had said to her and then answers or does what I told her to do. Kids, aren’t they great!

• 9. noreply@blogger.com (MadMad)  |  February 13th, 2008 at 11:28 am

Darn. I need to actually use my reader instead of this method of random clicking because I’m always late!

Oh, wow! Lookie what you got up there in your comment thing. How long’s that been there? That’s exactly what I wanted to say, but it didn’t come out as good. Damn. You’re funnier. I quit.

What were we talking about? I forget. Wanna guess?

• 10. noreply@blogger.com (TLCknits)  |  February 13th, 2008 at 11:34 am

“Hey Mom, this one time…” (in my head ‘at band camp’)

• 11. noreply@blogger.com (Tiffany Anne)  |  February 13th, 2008 at 11:43 am

Oh, I love reading your blog! Ha-ha. To touch on the the chicken butt thing that Pat mentioned–oh, I know I’m twenty-three but every time anyone (for some reason, especially the kids) says to me “Guess what?” I desperately want to say “CHICKEN BUTT!”

• 12. noreply@blogger.com (Anonymous)  |  February 14th, 2008 at 8:51 am

Wendi Aarons – are you the same Wendy Aarons that wrote to Mr. Thatcher at Proctor and Gamble regarding “Always” pads. A friend of mine typed your letter into an email and sent it to me. I’ve since forwarded it on to others. I’m still laughing. Thanks for making my day. I saw your name and did a quick search to see if I could find you to say way to go!

Patsy

• 13. noreply@blogger.com (Anonymous)  |  February 14th, 2008 at 2:18 pm

Mad Dog said…

Guess what?

Chicken Butt!

You know why?

Chicken Pie!

And that’s the rest of the story!

• 14. noreply@blogger.com (shay)  |  February 15th, 2008 at 12:16 am

There’s a “Dancing with the Stars” chat room?

Guess what? ……

• 15. noreply@blogger.com (Dena)  |  February 17th, 2008 at 10:45 am

We, too had the “Chicken butt,” response but as explains how warped we turned out, it was edited to, “Guess what? Chicken butt. Fried grease. Want a piece? Candy’s dandy but liquor’s quicker.”

• 16. noreply@blogger.com (SueFromSC)  |  February 18th, 2008 at 6:55 am

BHAHAHAAA My Jake is 7 and he always “Hey Mom, Guess What” to which I reply, “Straw Jake, chicken butt, go around the corner and pick it up…”

But yes, my son sounds exactly like yours…it wouldn’t be so bad but the dad-burned question takes for-frickin-ever to answer. Maybe I’m just old…. ;)

• 17. noreply@blogger.com (Sarah)  |  February 21st, 2008 at 8:44 am

Guess what?…Been there, done that, too. After the “conversation” is over, I often wonder how I fell into that trap yet again.